Page 3 of 8
G - H - I
- The scientific discipline that deals with the measurement and representation of the surface of the earth.
- GIS (Geographic Information System)
- A geoinformation sytem (GIS) is an information system which "digitally captions and edits, saves and reorganises, models and analyses space-oriented data and presents them in an alphanumeric and graphic way" (Bill, 1994).
- Google Maps API (Application Programming Interface) Premier
- A programming interface provided by Google™. It permits the development of individual map services.
- Grid Computing
- The generation of a virtual supercomputer by combining individual computers in order to increase computing capacities.
- GPRS (General Packet Radio Service)
- A service for data transmission in GSM networks.
- GPS (Global Positioning System)
- A satellite system which permits positioning, navigation and timekeeping both for military and civilian purposes.
- GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications)
- Cellular radio networks standard for telephony, data transmission and short messages.
- A neologism created from the terms "information" and "entertainment". In the automotive sector, infotainment denotes systems providing services such as navigation, radio or mobile communications.